Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb10 December 8

December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)


Normally i believe I am a unique and different individual yet now that I am trying to think up specifics I feel challenged. 


I think one of my best qualities is that I can easily see situations or arguments, feelings or notions from other perspectives. Often times though other people think it's crazy or that I am making excuses for a person's "wrong" belief/behavior or something along those lines. I think it has more to do with sensitivity though. When I was in middle school, I had just moved in with my mom and she had just gotten married so I had also gained three more brothers, my brothers and even my mom would make fun of me for being so sensitive. Not just that they could easily hurt my feelings or upset me, but I felt for others as well. One time we were driving on the freeway and I saw a car pulled over the side of the road with a police car and an ambulance. There was a person laying on the ground and they was covered from head to toe with a white sheet. The person was dead. I just remember crying and feeling terrible for that person and their family but my whole family was making fun of me and demeaning the situation. Of course this just made me feel worse. 


Often I can feel what the people around me are feeling. I don't know how I do it but I just can. Anybody, strangers that I've never even spoken with before. It's like i can read their emotions on their bodies and emotions say a lot about what somebody is thinking so sometimes I know what they are thinking just based on what I can see that they are feeling. It's hard to explain and it sounds silly but it's something I learned to do when I was a child, as a survival technique I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment